top of page
American Flag on Pole

Lawful Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

IMG_3354 (2).WEBP

A Lawful Permanent Resident Card, (also known as a Green Card) is a card issued by USCIS to foreign nationals as evidence of their lawful permanent resident status in the United States. Green Card holders may reside and work in the United States permanently. 

As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

● Live permanently anywhere in the United States.

Work in the United States.

● Own property in the United States.

● Attend public school.

● Apply for a driver’s license in your state or territory.

● Join certain branches of the U.S. armed forces.

● Receive Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Medi-Cal, and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.

Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.

Request visas for your spouse and unmarried children to live in the United States.

● Leave and return to the United States under certain conditions.


As a permanent resident, you must:

● Obey all federal, state, and local laws.

● Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.

● Register with the Selective Service (U.S. armed forces), if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 26.

● Maintain your immigration status.

● Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times.

Change your address online or provide it in writing to USCIS within 10 days of each time you move. 

The United States is a law-abiding society. Permanent residents in the United States must obey all laws. If you are a permanent resident and engage in or are convicted of a crime in the United States, you could have serious problems. You could be removed from the country, refused re-entry into the United States if you leave the country, lose your permanent resident status, and, in certain circumstances, lose your eligibility for U.S. citizenship.


Examples of crimes that may affect your permanent resident status include:

● A crime defined as an aggravated felony, which includes crimes of violence that are felonies with a one-year prison term.

● Murder.

● Rape.

● Sexual assault against a child.

● Illegal trafficking in drugs, firearms, or people; and

● A crime of moral turpitude, which, in general, is a crime with an intent to steal or defraud, a crime where physical harm is done or threatened, a crime where serious physical harm is caused by reckless behavior, or a crime of sexual misconduct. There are also serious consequences for you as a permanent resident if you:

● Lie to get immigration benefits for yourself or someone else.

● Say you are a U.S. citizen if you are not.

● Vote in a federal election or in a state or local election open only to U.S. citizens.

● Are a habitual drunkard or someone who is drunk or uses illegal drugs most of the time.

● Are married to more than one person at the same time.

● Fail to support your family or to pay child or spousal support as ordered.

● Are arrested for domestic violence (domestic violence is when someone assaults or harasses a family member, which includes violating a protection order);

● Lie or present fake documents to get public benefits or defraud any government agency.

● Fail to file tax returns when required.

● Willfully fail to register for the Selective Service if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 26; and

● Help someone else who is not a U.S. citizen or national to enter the United States illegally even if that person is a close relative and you are not paid. If you have committed or have been convicted of a crime, you should consult with a reputable immigration lawyer or a community-based organization that provides legal service to immigrants before you apply for another immigration benefit. 

If your Green Card is expiring in 6 months, has already expired, has been lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated, issued but never received, biographic information has legally changed, or your card has incorrect data, click below to start your renewal or replacement process:

bottom of page